June 11 – 14, 2010
Dave, Harold, Bob and I went on this epic adventure, which included a 5K portage and paddling Opeongo in one day. Thankfully the lake was as flat as a mirror on the way out. Dave and Harold stayed on extra night (half way down Opeongo) and had a frightening time getting out the next day. Bob slipped as he sat down and cracked the front seat of Timon’s canoe, causing it to crack. Thankfully the repair was relatively cheap and easy.
We saw a tremendous amount of wildlife during the trip, including five moose and a deer.
Itinerary (see GPS track and photos for details):
- Opeongo Taxi to the north end of the north arm of the lake.
- Paddle north to the ranger cabin which we had rented for the first night. There is a spectacular hike up to the old fire tower that is well worth doing even if you’re just paddling through. Even though you can not climb the tower, it is perched upon a beautiful (and extremely high) point of land, allowing an unparalleled view of the park.
- Paddle to Lake L. for the second day.
- Paddle to Dickson the next day.
- Portage 5K and paddle Opeongo, drive home. We were extremely lucky that Opeongo on the way out was as flat as a mirror. The original plan was a second night at Dickson and to take a water taxi home. The day was so inviting, we couldn’t just sit around the campsite at Dickson. We had to get on the water!
Here’s the map and photos:
View Larger Map